Thursday, May 04, 2006

Frugal Camp Idea’s

I found this on-line, I picked the ones that were new to me…

  1. Twist ties can be used to hold up another tarp from your dining fly to form a wind screen. Maybe not on Anchor Point beach…but it may save some of lines from being cut up by the men
  2. A small automotive water hose clamp can be used as a stop for your dining fly's upright poles. THIS IS A MUST!!! That stick last year KONKED to many kids.
  3. Put matches in corrugated cardboard strips (about every other hole) and dip into paraffin for fire starters. Cut off what you need to start a fire. Everyone ate all my Fritos last year. Its time for a non-edible fire starter.
  4. Use a cookie tin as a dutch oven … I have tons of these..I know we all just got dutch ovens… but we can cook corn bread AND camp stew AND Sticky Buns)
  5. Make a camp washing machine from a five gallon bucket and a toilet plunger. This is for Noe … I hope it will help this year …but, hopefully we won’t have any kittens to pee on you or your down sleeping bag.
  6. Laundry lint makes good tinder. Noe we need to figure out a lint trap for your new washer.
  7. Cover the ice in a picnic cooler with foil to help it last longer…. But that means less water for recycling...to the dog dishes…then Dad’s coffee.
  8. To prevent night accidents in camp, use phosphorescent paint to mark the edges of latrines, the top of corner pegs of tents, etc. … with as much beer the Buffalo Bull drinks we may want to mark walkways and the TOILET SEAT.
  9. Kitchen foil can add extra warmth to your boots. Trace each foot on a piece of foil and add a 5 cm border. Place the foil inside your boots, shiny side up so you benefit from radiant heat…. Just don’t wear them by the fire!!
  10. To keep mosquitoes away rub the inside of an orange peel on face, arms and legs. … Fabric Softener (Bounce is my favorite) sheets also work well!!
  11. Discarded roll on deodorant bottles make an excellent insect repellent applicator because it enables you to keep 'bug dope' off your hands and out of your eyes. Snap off the plastic top or snap out the ball, rinse out the bottle and refill with your favorite liquid repellant. …Ever heard of a Mexican bath….this is the Alaskan version.
  12. Keep your toilet roll dry by packing it in a coffee tine with a snap-on lid… save those zip lock bags for pancake batter.
  13. Certain fibers can be damaged by insect repellants. Don't apply repellants to spandex (from which bathing suits are made), rayon, or Dynel fabrics. Tent fabrics, plastic and painted surfaces also can be damaged by insect repellents. … Aerosol sprays take away water proofing!
  14. Did you know that the egg whites left in empty egg shells makes good glue? Use it for scrapbooks, etc. … I see an all natural art project … wonder if it will work on the rock dudes the kids always make.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, leave it to a GS Leader to come up with all these useful "hints"? Now, I guess I am going to have to set down and make up my own list of "useful things". One that comes to mind, for a fire starter, take one of these little "pill bottles", once you get the child proof cap off, fill it full of gasoline and replace the cap. Take the sring that you previoulsy coated with parifin wax and insert one end into a small hole that you put in the lid of the bottle, push enough string into the bottle to where it it will coil up and place a small dab of parafin over the hole to keep the gas from leaking out. Place the bottle under a pile of small split wood, place a couple of logs on top of the kindling, light the fuse with one of Heidi's parfin coated matches and run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you NOT read Donny's blog today???? NO BOY SCOUT JUICE in the central fire pit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were some great ideas! I'm thinking you may need to come up with a good way to enjoy mud - alot of it unless it starts getting sunnier pretty soon and the "camp-pit" dries up. By the way, this is Mom - I'm back in business again - just need my own "blog site" now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mom...great iders sister...I gots lots of card board...I may even have parafen wax...I will have to check...sounds like a good girl scout project...I will supply the supplies and you get the labor together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well how the heck are you mom? Nice to see you hanging around. Let me know if you need help setting up a site. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi - she beat my password out of me so she could blog, have not been able to get her off the computer. That was a very subtle hint that she sent to you - yes, she needs help! I recommended you! Do I get any bonus points for that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll hook you up Mom!! But I need a Title/Name/URL...or your password and user name if you all ready did that other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey this is the Bear Clan! We just made our blog! Its lifeintheden.blogspot.com We need a little help personalizing it though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DA BEARS.... oh happy day... of Course I will hook you up... what do you want to look like???

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great ideas and your comments had me laughing out loud.

    A similar good firestarter is use cardboard egg cartons, fill with wood chips, or lint with matches and pour parrifin over them. When cooled they rip apart.

    ReplyDelete