Friday, May 04, 2007

Missing Home

Good morning all, it was a long night, our quiet nurse had the night off, he was stealth, I barely heard him when he came in, minus the time I woke up and saw a strange man over my bed...and screamed. Last night we had student nurses, someone needs to tell them they need to teach OUTSIDE of the room at night, walking someone through how do a paitent assesment is not something you should do at night. Also those Damn flashlights, don't turn them on until they are pointed to what you need to look at, NOT in my eyes. I even left the bathroom light on.
Tay is feeling 100% better after a bath and hair shampoo, I had to teach them how to wet wash a girls hair in bed...hope the nurses are learning something. They just turned off the epidural, and the oral medication is treating her REALLY well, now the silly's are kicking in. She is sitting up a little more but is still freaked out, our very first nurse after surgery yelled at her about sitting up and filled her head with horror stories about snapping tendons and killing nerves, after her experience last March with her torn meniscus and stretched knee tendons, she is pretty freaked out. I had to get on the nurses yesterday about trying to force her out of bed, they did it, they instilled the fear, I had to stick up for Tay. The nurse lied to her telling her it was Doctor orders and I was NOT impressed. The Doctor only gave her permission, but he must have heard about my conversation with the nurse because he expects her to be out of bed when he does his evening rounds. Today she is looking forward to it.
I do have some bad news, even though she will be ready to go home on Sunday/Monday, the travel plans include to many people to change the plans, so Tuesday (I still don't have confirmation) we will fly home. I wonder how much a rental car to Alaska is? The good news is we may get a day pass and get her out of here on Monday maybe we will go to the Zoo or to the mall, the girls and I can use some new cloths, maybe they will be cheaper down here.
I am meeting some new friends the other moms are great, and its nice to complain about the service here. It is not bad service in fact it is excellent (for us), but bitching (oops "r" rated word) about something makes us feel better.
The poor boy (17 years old) next door, he spiked a 104 fever, they tried everything even icing his whole body down to get the temp down. Mom noticed some swelling in his stomach. It turns out they didn't put his catheter in right his urine was backing up and causing the fever. Our other neighbor was a screaming 16 year old girl. All day long it was nonstop screaming, "f" word this "F" word that, yelling at the nurses, yelling at her parents, moaning and screaming like she was in horrible pain (pain management is not an issue here), she was know as the Drama Queen. Yesterday she disappeared, turns out the Docs told her to behave or leave and find another Doc. I think they left. Met the another little guy that had back surgery (scoliosis) one day and left the next, turns out he was born with no feeling in his mid-section, lucky (or is it unlucky) boy. I also have a new little 9 year old friend she attached to me instantly, she is here for hip surgery, but other wise a normal little kid. She is going in for surgery today, Tay and I are gonna repackage some of her flowers for her. Oh and I forgot, a dog came by to visit last night looked just like Barley with a darker face and brown eyes, I would have to say barley is NOT a prerinise mountain dog mutt. I forgot what breed this dog (began with an L) was but it was Barley all the way , I miss HOME!!!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your return, give Taylor a hug for me. I do not envy you on the flight home, I never thought of having to fly to a destination strapped to a gourney! I bet you get good service. Played poker again last night, won for the second week in a row and holding onto that first place spot with a $500.00 lead with one game to go before the final championship game. My highlight last night was that I took our neighbor (Key from Las Vegas) out of the game last night, it ws his first time to play with us. Had to play three tables last night because of the turnout. I am ready for the HITW Mindnight Sun Poker Tournament!

    ReplyDelete