Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Eight Hours

Just an update after eight hours (two hours more then they thought) of surgery Taylor is out and feeling fine, she has four metal plates in her legs and multiple screws, two of them holding her knee caps ups, the doctor had to raise them, her muscles were so tight her knee caps were being pulled down. The Doctor cut her hamstrings in where is connects in two places, he was going to move them to a different location (muscle transfer) but couldn't find the right place to attach it, so he just cut them. I guess you don't need all your hamstrings connected. He rotated the right femur 5 degrees and the left 20 degrees and both tibia's 20 degrees. He said Taylor is an odd case, looking at the the range of motion with her lying on her tummy does not match what he sees when she is on her back. I think she was a brain teaser for him. He look so exhausted, Taylor was his second surgery of the day so he had to have been operating for 10 hours.
The detail are still fuzzy with all of the information they gave me, its all so hard to keep it straight. So if my story changes its due to jet lag and stress and confusion. I plan getting copies of her records, just so I don't have to take notes. The epidural should be in for three days so she shouldn't feel any pain until we switch her to oral meds.
The word on the floor was that she received the Aiona (her Doctor) Special, and it always goes well. I really like this doc. Our prospective home date is Monday, Sunday if all goes well. It will be more like 6 weeks before we come back down to remove the casts and he will probably bring us down again the end of July.
I tried to upload pictures of our adventures but the public computers won't let me take them off my camera, I will go to the OHSU library and see if I can't do it there. Do all public computers limit you to email and Internet searching? If i find an Internet cafe' will it be different?
Taylor is sleeping soundly, Marty she really appreciated you phone call, and got mad at me for almost hanging up. I asked her if she wanted to make any phone calls and she said NO!!! Marty you should feel special.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad she made it through with flying colors.

    She is such a tough person.

    I love you guys, I'll try calling tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glade that I got to talk to her and now I do feel really special. I asked her if she would like it if I call again the next day and she said she would. I should have told her that she could call me any time she wanted too if she got board or something. (Which she can)
    Love and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im very happy to hear she is doing good. I was praying for her all day! I hope your doing good too! I can't imagine how it was waiting for so long to find out...you both did it. How happy you must be that this part is over, sure do hope that the healing is easy going! Love and miss you both! Come back home saftley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! I am so glad to hear all is well. I too, was praying through out the day. Let her know Alaska is rooting for her. and Job well done. Good luck coming home. and Heidi you are a truely amazing woman and mother. God bless you both :}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray, prayers do work and now to continue for a quick recovery. Our love is flowing towards both of you. Heidi I don't know how you did the waiting by yourself - I would have been a nervous wreck. Kiss T for us and we'll call (when I find the number).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I just thought that T and grandpa can now compare metal plates and screws.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With all that is on your mind, I really appreciate your updates, not only for our information but a great stress reliever for you. My thoughts and love is with you both, you are each remarkable and strong ladies. I love you.

    ReplyDelete