Saturday, December 22, 2007

I took my younger GS Troop to Bean's Cafe, yesterday, we volunteered to help cook Christmas dinner. It was a success and I couldn't be prouder of my girls. They were respectful and helpful. Even with so many of us there, it was not a circus, even with the staff having to dance around us.
I was impressed with Bean's new kitchen and office space, from United Way. We learned that Bean's Cafe only employees 6 people (some are past clients), everyone else is volunteers or is a person they serve, a Beany. They serve breakfast and lunch, and they act as a day shelter. If a Beanie (what they call their clients) helps in the kitchen they receive a "Beanie Bag" filled with snacks. They serve an average of 600 meals a day, use 50 rolls of toilet paper and 12 pounds of coffee in a day. I didn't realize but Bean's was named after a little girl, her and her mom started Bean's in the '70's.

We were the last of the groups of volunteers for the day, for a total of 63 outside volunteers, so Christmas dinner was already done. We helped clean up the kitchen, Midnight (the cook) was thankful he would be able to go home a little early.

Because there were so many of us, we were assigned to different tasks, we cleaned the serving area, I noticed several eyes getting good looks at the dining area and seeing how many people were eating (we were not allowed to go out front), I should have asked what the girls were thinking. We cleaned the bread carts, with the nicest lady who taught them to speak pig Latin, she could even do it in Spanish. I cleaned those carts, last spring, not an easy task.

We also got to stuff the "Beanie Bags" full of sweets and yummy goodies... yogurt, chocolate muffins, sandwiches, chocolate bars, life savors, rice crispy bars, gum....everything a kid could want. Before we left we were offered some goodies, some girls accepted, some girl felt someone else needed it more...I did encourage the girls to take the "unhealthy stuff", figuring the protein and good carbs should be left to the Beany's.


Here we are with out hairnets.

On the trip home I heard many girls wanting to go back, Thank You BEAN'S for such a great experience.

When John got home that afternoon, he took on the rest of the Girls Scout waiting to go home and I got to get my sister out of the house alone. I have decided the best place to shop is the 5th avenue mall. Here's what you do....You swing into Sullivan's and order a $10 Martini, then head up stairs for food from every place in the food court, when you are over stuffed, you wander around EVERY shop pretending you are the only one there. I got little shopping done.

Yesterday, I also found something I never realized I missed, reading to young kids. I read Melissa and Warren their "bed time" stories...the excitement over a book they probably have read millions of times....I LOVE IT!! It's those little things that make life worth it!!

LOVE LIFE, LIVE IT WELL, and BE THANKFUL for EVERYTHING!!

3 comments:

  1. That project should have been an eye opener for all those young ladies, might give them a few monents to reflect that the things they take for granted makes them much more forunate than others, like a warm home, meals, a place to sleep, and family. I surely do hope that they also realize how forunate they are in having a role model and leader such as you to devote this much time to the troop and to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hairnets are so flattering:)

    Way to go TROOP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks sister...I actually enjoyed the mall after a 10 dollar martini I did not have to pay for...and those stories made my kids night...they love to be read too...any time you want to you are welcome I wont complain.

    ReplyDelete