Monday, January 08, 2007

Smoothies,

...I so love smoothies, but like mochas or latte’s, $5.25 plus tip just gets to be to a little spendy. I have only found a good smoothie at the malls, so add gas and time, it really adds up. So for the last year I have been making them at home, not very convenient and really time consuming. The ice wont crunch, the juice and berries freeze in the bottom of the blender and things won’t blend; when trying to shift the ingredients, so that it will crunch the frozen items, just makes a mess all over the counters and it never fails that I end up with a whole blender of smoothie. Serving size is something to consider when drinking smoothies because ...just because you put all healthy ingredients in, it is still full of sugars and calories and if the kids aren’t around, I end up drinking the pitcher.

I quit drinking them a few months ago because it was just too much trouble to make. Well that all ended last week when I finally played with my new Christmas presents, thanks sister, it is a “To-Go” mug that attaches to a blender blade. I fill my mug with frozen berries, some yogurt, a banana, a dab of whatever juice is in the fridge, sometimes I’ll throw in something from the veggie drawer, and my Emer’genC*. The only thing I leave out is the little black boba balls, what are those anyway? Yuck!!! The best part is if the blender cup gets jammed up I take it off the blender, shake it about, and pound it on the counter a few times, and then I am good to go. When it’s all blended I screw on the top meant for drinking and I have my brunch. The only thing missing is the really fat straws (and the boba), but not because it didn’t come with one but because I hid it from the kids and now can’t find it.

* I have to take a quick minute to plug this vitamin supplement and remind you I am not a distributor. Emer’GenC is a powder you mix with water and dink. It gives you the same effect as a cup of coffee, without the sudden downer a few hours later. I have noticed a huge difference in my energy levels when I use Emer’genC regularly. I like the Strawberry it is more expensive, but has more minerals then the rest of the flavors. The B vitamins help with moodiness. When you have a sore throat, cold, congestion, or flu, hot Tang with an Emer’GenC is all you need.

21 comments:

  1. mmmm...that sounds good...I hate the ones made from syrup...strawberry banana...yummy...


    first to comment yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The syrup flavors do suck, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the syrup flavors, especially the Irish Creme, it is cheaper than a bottle of Baily's and contains no alcohol so I can drink the entire bottle and never have a headache. If you mix a little vanila ice cream into it you have a perfect "smoothie", I prefer the banana or cherry flavor for this. The flavors are also very good when used on waffles or pancakes. At any given time, I like to keep at least a dozen different flavors in my syrup cabinet. I also use it at christmas time when I am making dudge, you can get a great variety of flavors, especially when using the white chocolate chips and walnuts. Try a piece of of white cherry chocolate fudge and you will see the benefit of syrups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, us old bloggers are back on line again - trying to freeze us out like a smoothie - but I have not even got a year on this blog site, why should I upgrade?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to try a new and exciting "smoothie" treat, I have the recipe for a "Smoked Salmon Smoothie", it is so good! Oh, I forgot, your fisherman did not supply you with any smoked salmon this season. Oh, well - I will fix one up for you come spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister turned me on to EmergenC's when I was in Idaho. I need to get me some.

    I have that problem when making smoothies. I always make too much. I need one of those too!

    Stan- As much as I like smoked salmon a smoked salmon smoothie sounds really really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. more prattle than salmon in that smoothie, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet. I love smoothies myself, but have the same issues when making them at home. In fact, I broke mom's blender a couple years ago with my smoothie addiction. I'll have to check into your new gadget. And... strawberry Emer'Gen-C has more minerals and crap? I thought they were all the same just different flavors! I may have to change from my standard tangerine...

    ReplyDelete
  9. black boba balls? id leave them out 2. how r u. u me and your sister should have some coffee or a smoothie one of these days

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are BIG tapioca balls...I do not know why they are black.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tapioca! I can eat my weight in tapioca - I love it - when Grannie makes it for me once in a great while, she usually scorchs it so I am use to eating brown tapioca - I am sure that I could adjust very well to a large bowl of black tapioca topped with a wallup of whip cream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is tapioca and why would you eat it..the texture is puts images of bug eggs in my mind. Have you noticed I think blogger has added spell check for comments....well for some words.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe they're not to be eaten - like the rattle ball in a spray paint can. Just to shake it up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know about that bout i have seen them glued to the ceiling at the mall...they make great spitballs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Her new gadget was bought at Wall Mart...see I did my Christmas shopping somewhere other than Safeway this year. It was not to expensive...14.99...she aint worth much more...but I figured it would make a good Birthday present to...with two in the house you would always be able to have a clean cup for your smoothie or milk shake or iced cappacion if you so desire...me? I am hoping she leaves it at my house like she does with all her coffee cups...the I too witll have a smoothie cup.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Had a tough time figuring out who "Anonymous" but then discovered the critical clue - she left her name "Heidi" Remind me to never let you plan a kidnapping or bank robbery. I think "Anonymous" means thatat you do not want to be identified! As a little boy and my mother made tapioca pudding for us, we were told it was made out of "frog eggs". The original "smoothie" was actually "junklet pudding" - now see if you can find out anything about that topic - it was also very good, so easy to make and I have not seen a "junklet tablet" in the grocery stotre in years, yerars, and years!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have! In fact I think I have one in my cupboard! Hey I remember junket...funny word...I did not know I knew. he he she blogs in anonymous to avoid logging in....the big sister

    ReplyDelete
  18. ewww now I dont like it no more...thanks!!! cow stomach curdled milk...yuck...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Shana...Mom and Dad only paid $7.50 for me at birth, you got screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is it to late to ask for a refund? If I could get a refund on all four of my children, I would get $67.50 back plus interest forthe past 26+ years - I would almost have enough to buy grannie a anniversary present. Did I fail to mention that your proud parents are going to be celebrating 41 years of wedded bliss (well almost) come February 18, 2007 which happens to be on a Sunday which is in the middle of a three day holiday weekend (President's Day on 2/19/07).

    ReplyDelete