Saturday, January 13, 2007

Oh where has my little baby gone??

It has now been thirteen years…. I could spend hours telling you about the day. About how I went to see my midwife, the morning of the 12th, she did a pelvic exam, saw one bacteria culture in her swab, and prescribed me vaginal medication. How I spent the rest of the day running errands and doing laundry at the Washboard, how I hauled six loads of laundry and the groceries up to our second floor apartment, how I ate so much food while playing with our first new television and Nintendo we just got for Christmas, feeling a little gassy, I used my medicine and went to bed only to be awoken in the next hour thinking I needed to go see the doctor and get an enema…but when I showed to the hospital I was really having a baby, ten weeks early. How I wondered how my midwife did not notice this 12 hours earlier when I saw her. How the Doctors held off a very scary labor for three hours waiting for the neonatal team to arrive from Anchorage, knowing our family was waiting in the hall wondering what was happening, me just thinking “get this done with”, how the Anchorage team arrived and I was so relived to finally push. To hear her fist cry…watching my two and a half pound baby leave me to fly to a bigger hospital, the scary drive to Anchorage to meet them, how we had to scrub down to see our daughter, the other babies in the NICU. Lately I have been reliving the rest of the joys and fears of those days though Baby Boris and his family, remembering how every ounce was a goal met and every poo a step back.

5 comments:

  1. Memories do this to trick you...that beautiful baby is now cotrolled by puberty...good thing for those memories or children would be tossed out on their little hineys at puberty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 13 Years ago I was already in LA when I got that frantic early morning call. Made a frantic morning call to a doctor that I knew and was waiting at the hospital when the helicopter landed with John and Taylor. The hours spent worrying about you and your mother making a mad dash to Anchorage in a snow storm right after you had given birth. The first time that I saw Taylor in the NICU with the other babies - o.k., I have suceeded in bringing tears to my eyes. Happy Birthday Taylor, I Love You, Your Mother and Your Father - I am so proud of all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Tay!!! Is there a party tonight that I'm going to miss because of poker?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No you won't miss it ...because she is going to youth group. The little Ditcher!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to envision Tay as a baby. I think she was always a person in baby clothes.

    ReplyDelete