Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Guppies

With John’s cat fish eating every cute little fish we put in their tank, we decided to start giving him (the cat fish not John) live feedings. The pet store charges $.20 for a feeder guppy, and I have to go weekly to get them, so we decided to start breeding guppies. I was on-line searching for tips on how to breed Guppies I found that too many people have too much time on their hands and some have taken breeding guppies to a whole new level. Like this GUY


“Harem Breeding

It is not absolutely necessary to separate the sexes if your fish breed true. Saving virgin females is important if you need to be sure of the father of your drops, however, it does take more tanks in order to do this. You may feel that in your breeding program you want more control over choosing parents; it is a choice you must make.

I like to leave a few females in the male tank for them to chase. This way, there are pre-hit females and virgin females available at the same time. I also feel that it is important for developing males to have females around to "practice" on. Young virile males need to vent their urges and the young females, I find, have no problem coping with their advances.”


I have a few questions for this guy….like how can I tell if my fish is a virgin? Or why do they need to “practice” to get a good stock? Does the “Quality” of the sex make a better guppy? What about those salmon that only get to do it once? Maybe if we gave them a chance to “practice” our runs will be stronger.

6 comments:

  1. I knew it would only be time before you guys got into breeding fish, I realize the problem that you are facing with the low production of fish that the Plumma provides the family, but I am not sure raising guppies or even gold fish will put enough meat on the table for you size of family - they will be easier to smoke although you will need a smaller smokehouse - as to the breeding program - to good to pass up but I have to give this some serious thought and review a few programs before I venture forth with a statement or intelligent comment, it does open some doors for some great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..? Need serious thought and research before prattling a comeback? Intelligent? Who is this commenter on Stan's site? None of this was needed in the past!
    As far as salmon go, I think they SHOULD practice - but, only safe sex.
    The "guy" linked probably spends way too much time in his LA apartment with no job. I hate to imagine what he's feeding his guppies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sister to tell if a guppie is a virgin you must spread it's little anal fins...and check it's little "vent". This is easiest to do with the aid of a microscope...a "virgin" guppie would have a "hymen" I assume.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just HAD to go see what his fetish was about, didn't you, Shana? If we need help spreading their anal fins, I'll be sure and call you to view their hymen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. JD Pluma...I am getting the feeling your "picking" at me...well I just want you to know...even though I am fixed...my biological clock is ticking fast...I need all I can get before "time runs out". I was once told this was around fourty....you know when a couple begins sleeping in different beds...and sex in a distant memory....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your beta crap is slow... This famous quote was copied and pasted top this comment site - do you know who the author was?

    ReplyDelete