Monday, August 14, 2006

Flying Out This Week

With all of the new problems with terrorist and airplanes I am a little concerned about flying out of state next week. It is not the possibility of being blown up or purposefully crashed into the space needle, it is the flying restrictions, the searches, delays, and missing our ride to the hospital.

Our trip is an over night trip, we leave 8am on the 16th and return 7pm on the on the 17th. We were asked NOT to check any luggage. Reason being the gentlemen in the funny hats do not want to wait for us to collect our luggage. He will be picking several people and wants us all to get to the hospital in a timely manner and I think he doesn’t want to pay for parking. Yet the doctors are asking us to bring an arsenal of mobility devices.

This would not be a problem if it weren’t for the new restrictions. Being a little confused about the new restrictions I went on-line just to see what we can and cannot bring…. You will have to look yourself…and while looking ask yourself….do they really have to list some of that stuff? I mean seriously folks; wouldn’t you check your hatchet?

The resources I found really did not help me out at all since the last time they updated the list was December ’05 and there is no mention of the new restrictions or whether they are international or national or even local restrictions.

This is what I heard from the national news, and the local news was no help at all. These new restrictions may just be for international flights but I would like to know for sure….

  1. No carry on baggage- that means no bags at all not even a purse. (Great Britain only I think)
  2. Anything carried on will have to be sealing in a zip lock bag - ID’s, passports, money, credit cards, medication, feminine products, and baby hygiene products. If it doesn’t fit you aren’t allowed to take it. (Great Britain only I think)
  3. NO LIQUIDS or GELLS – this includes make up, lipstick, shampoo, lotion, contact lens solutions, drinks, and everything else. Baby bottles will have to be taste tested (I hope they are prepared for breast milk).

Even if I can carry on our bags, I am sure the two canes and the walker will be an issue with the carry on restrictions. AND I am not sure I can carry it all, with our duffel bag and all medical equipment the Shriners asked us to bring. Checking our baggage is not an option, there is no contacting our ride to tell him we will be checking our bags and that we will be late to meet him. They get cranky if you are late. So this means, if I can bring on carry on bags, I will have to carry it all onto the plane and throughout the airports *said with great dread*. It should be an experience pushing Tay through the crowed airports carrying our overnight bag, purse, walker, canes… looking for the gift shop so I can purchase all the liquids that I would have ordinarily pack in my carry on (lotion, deodorant, acne medicine, Carmex) and most important a lighter; all while stressing over whether, my ride, the old cranky man in the funny hat, is going to yell at me for being late and then, in retribution, not give me a chance light a smoke with the new lighter I was forced to buy for 10 bucks at the airport gift shop (if they even carry them)…It has happened before…. I think I need to rent a car, check our baggage, and risk getting lost in Portland maybe we can find Batman’s Lair, again.

5 comments:

  1. You are right in your numbered thoughts, I have been following this very close. You can hafve carry on, as long as no liquids are contianed except insulin, baby formula, or milk (after being tested). Because of the handicap laws, you should not be restricted to cary on of canes or other devices that Taylor will need including a wheelchair (in her hands, it could be considered a dangerous weapon). The little old man picking you up should be aware that regulaitons have changed so a check in bag is appropriate. the other items you need, I would wait until you get to the hospital, their prices are going to be a lot cheaper than buying tooth paste at the airport. You should also be aware that gel or water filled bra's are also on the restricted list, I want that job of checking to see if the bnras are water filled - I knew I would discover what I want to do when I grow up! Yike, you got word verification but no letters showing - can I make up my own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should call the airline to check on the new restrictions, and make sure to get to the airport super early. Last I heard, liquids you buy in the airport after the security check (soda, lotion in the gift shops, etc.) still will not be allowed on the flight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valette is correct, you will have two securities to go threough, the primary one and then one just before your board the plane to check for any liquids that you may have purchased or obtained after you went through the primary security - those are the items that you can buy in those little expensive shops where no one speaks English.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even think about toothpaste... ackkkkk I'll have dog breath.... maybe i can hide it in the teh wheelchair cushion.... I am just kidding Homeland Security!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck on this one I think renting a car would be on your best interest so you can check your bags, and lets hope you dont get lost...but the bat cave would be fun to find..lol anyways I will pray that you make it all right and good luck with everything. love ya

    ReplyDelete