Sunday, August 13, 2006

Air Show

What a day….we went to see the Blue Angels, at the Artic Thunder Air Show, it took some convincing to get the girls out of the house and no one was exactly excited about doing it except me. We miss the first part of the show, showing up just in time to see a few bombs being deployed. Everyone was loving it after that.

My favorite was a low rider Chevy truck, with Jet engine. Today the run way conditions were awesome and his speed was 325mph. Could you imagine? The C130 “Fat Albert” only flew at 350mph….that truck was flying!!!

The Red Bull stunt plain was exciting. He could tumble his plane tail over nose until you though he would crash, then at the last minute pull out of it. His take off was also pretty spectacular. After that show I think my little dare devil, Rose, may become a pilot for the Navy.

They saved the Angels for last; I remember seeing a little more stunt flying out of them when I was in California. But that was a long time ago, in high school. They did get us once and made me scream a little, one plane snuck in behind the crowd and just blew us away.

The crowds and traffic was worth it, next year I think we will go both days. So we don’t miss the show while we climb all over the planes on display and all the free recruiting do-dads.

4 comments:

  1. You saw the Blue Angels in Ancorage up close, you visited the planes. You were small, it was my twilight year in the Navy, I had to help organize it and when they arrived I discovered that one of the pilots and I served together in the squadron at Whidbey, he was ont eh advance crew and came in early to help set up the show. He gave us a tour of the aircraft and later we went tothe show. I did hear a rumor, I have not checked it out yet since it is a new rumor that this is the last year for the Angels, they will be decommissioned after this year which is a sad thing as they are the best and the oldest. When they communicate between aircraft, they do not use word verification!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad I heard theat rumor too...but why would they have bought new planes if they were going to decomision them?? They cant retiret he Blue Angels. I sat in my yard and watched them with tears in my eyes...the memories are the best...I used to want to fly for the minlitary but back them "girls dont do those jobs." So I settled for being a mother "boys cant do that!!" HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remeber seeing them here in Anchorage when I was little, but it seems like more then once. I remember meeting the famous flyers, I beleive Shana got autographs.... but what i realy remember is the food and all the cool stuff i could bring home...oh and the ear plugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the Blue angels put on a show for Seafair 78 so I know what you are talking about. Much better than the AirForce Thunderbirds.

    I too heard the Angels were closing shop.

    ReplyDelete