Friday, September 01, 2006

Hostage Situation

I ran to the local print shop tonight, because my trusty Cannon printer that uses really cheap ink died and I have failed to use the $50.00 needed for the Epson printer ink that will run out as soon as it is installed, oh anyway, I ran to the print shop tonight because Tay has a paper due tomorrow and it had to be typed.

As I entered the print shop there were two suspicious characters hanging around just outside the door. I went straight to the front counter for help; this is all a very new experience for me. We head over to my work area and pop my disk into the computer and start my task of printing. The young lady helping me knew nothing and could not get the proper document to open. I take over and open my document and hit print … then I hear it, squeals, I am not sure what to think so I turn and as I do I see two guns. The two suspicious kids out front had pulled their weapons and shots were going to be fired over a small barrier they were hiding behind. A manager that looked like she could be as young as a few of my nephews or even a niece was stationed herself by the door to await the authorities. But the seven of us were stuck, there was no way out without getting hit by any crossfire.

As we tried to sit and wait it out the situation got pretty scary there was a lot shots being fired and screaming, but you could not make out what they wanted. And then everything gets quiet, it appears that the punks ran out of ammo. As we approach the door to see if they have fled or if police had things under control, that’s when we notice the other kid had hid behind a corner and more shots were fired, at us. As we all took cover again in the back far corners of the print shop more screams could be heard but not screams of pain but ones of laughter. We knew if we did not do something soon the younger punk would surly reload.

Next thing we know they leap over the barrier and are at the door, what could we do we were trapped. Then our young store manager came to the rescue, she got the doors locked just in time. She then leaped behind a workstation just as they start shooting the door, it was only a mater of time before they were getting inside, then what? These rebels were going to just keep coming and nothing was going to calm them down. There seemed to be no reason for them to target any of us, they seemed to be doing it just for fun for amusement. And I have to admit it was a pretty exciting being on the middle of such a conflict and in no way did that help my judgment.

With the perpetrators locked outside it was the perfect time to make my way to the door to have a look at what was going on outside. As I approach the door I can hear the authorities’ rustlings about. I peer out the small opening by the door I can see one of the two gunmen; he had retreated back to the barrier. He was banging his gun against the barrier real mean like. Not knowing much about guns, I was thinking his gun must be jammed or that he was out of his mind and was throwing a temper tantrum about being out of ammo. I saw no others, no patrol man, no rubber-neckers, and no second gunman. I had to get a closer look so I eased the door open, just a bit, just to take a peek, I no sooner had enough room to get a look with one eye ….I was shot…I watched the shot coming directly at my left eye.

I stumble back not feeling any pain; I was more so shocked that the gunman had tricked us again by hiding in the shadows. And the fact that the second gunman shot me, with great skill, through a ¼ inch opening and hit her target precisely where she intended. I knew this was now serious, other lives were at stake, and the realization that help was not on the way hit me hard. So without thinking I regained my balance and charged out the door.

I tried to take out both suspects at once but just as the door slams behind me the young lady with the loaded weapon steps aside and lays her finger hard onto the trigger with a howl of laughter. As I hear and feel the shots hitting me and the walls behind me, I make contact with the other gunman. We roll to the ground, a tackle that and ball player would be proud of. With myself on top, I reach for the gun that is held tightly in this young mans hands. Hoping with all my soul that his gun was just jammed earlier and the tackle may have helped jar something loose. I get the gun and turn towards the young lady gunman. I shoot….Nothing…the guns jammed. I start to feel wetness running down the right side of may face and soaking into my clothes. I turn to see the second gun not two feet from my face. I hear laughter as I see the trigger finger twitch. As she pulls the trigger she steps forward and I am able to grab her gun and pull her towards me avoiding a direct hit. I wrap my hands around her upper arm and pull her on top of the tangle of bodies already on the ground. Then I remember my secret weapons…my ticklers. I aim straight for the ribs no messing around here I was going for the immobilizing my attackers.

As I get my fingers close to them they cringe in fear and laugh with great amusement. Buddy bellows and Nat is giggling with tears down her face. They knew that water guns were not going to hold their hostages any longer and that bedtime was inevitable.



PS- Sister thanks for the use of your printer...

6 comments:

  1. Things get pretty wild in LA while I'm at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you scared the crap out of me, what a blog I was almost ready to puke, and grab for the phone, jeeze what a crazy hostage situation!!!!!! you know how to keep a ready in total suspense!!! mybe you should write a book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice story, it had me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. me too. but ya know she slipped out the door with out paying her computer fee's..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having drove allthe way to LA in the holiday traffic. have to wait to get back to "The Little Village By the River" to hear about a hostage situation involving my daughter and a passle of my grandchildren - why did youhave to shoot them - they were good kids! A great story, almos thad me hooked until I relaized that it would have been the talk of the weekend if it had ocurred - where did youlearn to lie so well? Made it home safely, traffic was heavy, if you are wanting to rent an America Rents RV tyhis weekend, forget it - we had to pass six of them traveling together, all indentical, all pace evenly apart to keep you from getting in between them - but the old Ford hit passing gear - Granny was hiding under the dash as we hit 110 mph going down Turnagain Pass, slid around the corner at the Hope turnoff and passed the other two going up Summitt Pass - the trooper we met never did catch up with us, he must have got caught behind the convoy!

    ReplyDelete