Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Taxes

As soon as we bought our home I have saved every receipt so that I may get every tax deduction owned to me. Paying mortgage interest allows us to take the itemized deduction on our federal tax returns. Along with deducting my mortgage interest and property taxes, I deduct the cost of donations. I write off any Girl Scout supplies or school snacks that I pay for. I keep track of how much money I spend on fund rising items (like Boy Scout popcorn, Ends brook wrapping paper, football candy bars, and of course Girl Scout cookies); you can deduct the percent to the purchase price that goes to the charity. My uniform costs, leader books, and even mileage I use for fieldtrips. I deduct the used items I donate to the charity.

Medical deductions are pretty much worthless for my family we never meet the minimum requirements. So I really don’t bother.

Any state tax is deductible on a federal tax return. Most Alaskan thinks nope I don’t pay no state tax…but you do… stud tax you on new winter tires and what about that portion of your vehicle registration that goes to taxes. Do you pay into unemployment? It is a state tax.

I know you are thinking …Why is she thinking taxes? Well, what about the taxes that show up on my phone bills? They call it Telephone Cooperative Tax? Or what about Electric Cooperative Tax? Or the Alcoholic Beverage Tax? Motor Fuel Tax (8 cents/gallon)? A percent of the purchase price of my cigarettes ($1.60/pack of 20) are going to the state….so I was thinking I am gonna write shit off. $1.60 in taxes daily equals $569.60 deduction …times two because John smokes also…another $1139.20….

7 comments:

  1. You will be happy to know that you will get a $30.00 to $60.00 auto deduction this year because the telephone comanies have been charging a federal tax for the past three years which was eliminated three years ago when President Bush got the tax cut bills through Congress. Butyou do have a good concept - they should all be deductible - let me know how you do when you get audited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. On the Kenai Peninsula, whgere we assist our local Borough and City governements by paying a fair and equitable Sales Tax - we get a great deduction on these. Perhaps, if LA quit waiting for the state to provide all their funding and enacted a Sales Tax, which is a fair and equitable tax which everyone pays regardless of income level, your property tax would decrease and your deductions increase. I think my time that I spend typing in word verification should also be deductible at my current rarte opf $125.00 per hour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say we just throw the tea in the damn harbor!!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we only had the loopholes of a millionaire! When we do, I think everyone might be a millionaire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck on all that there, and heylet me know too if you get audited!!!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am on it. Thaks for the info. We pay so much in taxes. We dont even get a home. I want more money from uncle sam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why is it that everyone complains about paying to much in taxes, I include myself in that category - however when you feel the frustration of taxes, think of China, Afganistan, Irag and hundreds of other third world countries and keep in mind, regardless of how much we pay in taxes, it is a very small price for freedom. Mail your taxes to P.O. Box qogtu!

    ReplyDelete