Friday, June 16, 2006

Residential Lots For Sale – Prime Land?

On our “Vacation” to Anchor Point we were driving the back roads of the little city. Let me tell you…for those who have not visited…Anchor Point is a SMALL settlement along the highway as you are headed to the end of the road, Homer. In the year 2000 Anchor Point had a population of 1,845 people - Males: 988 (53.6%), Females: 857 (46.4%). That number may increase in the summer months, but I doubt it.

Anchor Point has grown somewhat since I was a kid but not much. New business pop up all the time but only 5 have made it through the years….the Inn…gas stations … grocery store…. tackle shop…and of course the video store; just the necessities. They have tried to develop the area but it the only businesses moving in is the Meth Labs.

Once they tried to get a boat harbor....why does AP needs a boat harbor is beyond me, with the mouth of the river, beach launching and the fact that Ninilchick and Homer are just 15 minutes away. Needless to say the boat harbor project failed. After that, the backer of that project decided to develop some lots in the middle of town behind the school. We are talking acres of prime land, most lots in that area go for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Half the lots were developed into residential and in between those lots he created this…

You may be wondering what the HELL??? Well it’s not a lawn….You see with a population of 988 males and 857 females they really needed a golf course in the middle of town. This is just one hole….the rest of the holes are stern around the new residential neighborhood.

I don’t know about you but when I am outside enjoying my view of the inlet I would prefer NOT to have to wear a helmet.... And when someone yells BIRDY I expect to see a bird, not a white ball that may (or not) be a product of an exploding meth lab.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, a golf course in AP - I never knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me to never nominate you as a director on the A.P. Chamber of Commerce, but you pretty much summarized the community. I never throught I would see a golf course in A.P., but they will be playing golf by this fall or at a minimum next spring. Money is no object on this venture. Currently an expert from the lower 48 is putting in the fairways, the first fairway is rumored at $60,000! Still seven fairways and drving range to go. Last year and again this year, three experts are here from Chicago working on the greens, putting in the state of the art artificial turf. The driving range is nearing completion, along one border, sixty foot poles which will hold the netting to keep the golf balls from encroaching onto the neighbors property. Construction on the club house will start soon. What you failed to mention is that the golf course is just across the street from the A.P. International Airport, which the same developer built several years ago in order to sell lots - they sold out. Current gossip is that they are now trying to purchase the adjoining property to develop more lots as the golf course lots have sold out! So, I guess to take advantage of the market - I am going to put in a put-put golf course on our property and sell time share spaces in the Hole in the Wall Recerational Area. Is 18 acres to large for a put-put golf course?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey good ideer dad!!! sister maybe you should consider writing for the tourist pamplet people...good description of AP

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crow, in the shot, should be a clue to investigate the matter further before investing is done...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Who Is That Knocking At My Chamber Door" "Quote The Raven Nevermore"

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Who Is That Knocking At My Chamber Door" "Quote The Raven Nevermore"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the poetry of Edgar Allen Poe so much, I had to double post it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please update your Blog Site, it has not been updated in accordance with your agreement with blogspot.com.
    Blog Master

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have much to say about the golf course plan - my Mom owns property in said golf course area so I stay out of it. :)

    Heidi - Sierra got into All-Stars and the games begin the 11th in Knik. From the map it looks like you are fairly close. I'm looking into potential places Sierra, I and maybe Shane could throw down sleeping bags for a night or two - the 10th - maybe the 12th (2 nights). Would you guys have some floor space or do you have too much going on around then?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knik is South West of Wasilla ... It about an hour drive from Anchorage ....at least until they build the bridge...after the bridge it should just take 15 to 20 minutes (or so i am told)

    You are more then welcome to to stay here....in fact I would LOVE IT...I wold even clean for you!!

    I didn't know your mom was involved in the golf course... or did she just buy a lot out there?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was planning a trip to Anchorage about the same time, they have asked me to bring a Troop of Cub and Boy Scouts (ages 8 to 13)to tour the A.F.B., there will be 17 of us and two vans, will you have room on the 9th through the 14th? Really appreciate it, especially if wqe can use your fire pit at night for the jamboree. Thanks and we appreciate it. P.S. Your mother, Dutch, and Goldie will also be coming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks its good to have that option - we will be trying to avoid too much commuting to the games and you're the third person whose given me an opinion of the drive length and each have been very different :)LOL I will be able to let you guys know for sure the 4th of July week - that's when we're supposed to find out game times. Thank you again and I will let you know asap!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Helllllloooo Heidi - any one home? Where are you? what are you doing? Where are you going? When will you be back? What are you doing that for? Are you still alive? Feel O.K.? Are you sick? Do you feel good? Are you napping? When will you wake up? Staying up late at night? Are you camping out in your camper? Where are you camping? When will you be back? You going to write to all of us when you get back? Don't you miss us? We miss you! Hurry back if you are gone, if you are not gone then where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am here... I am alive ... i just have nothing exciting to say ... or maybe you all have used up all the BS... and there isn't any left for me.

    ReplyDelete