Thursday, October 02, 2008

Deck Work

We built the ramp to the front door probably 9 or 10 years ago. The materials for the ramp were purchased through a grant for Tay; but the rest of the lumber were scraps from the job sites Uncle Marty was working on. The flower boxes also act as storage for the winter or summer toys, depending on the season. That is all they are really good for, there just isn't enough sun light or warmth to grow anything in that location. I have been meaning to transplant some plants from the woods, something that likes to grow under spruce trees. I spent a week sanding off the "Honey Gold" and hated every minute of the dust. I did however find myself thinking about all the people and stories surrounding it. I ran into the hand writing of a child, written on the bench, it said "Here lies Wormy the Worm". I giggled as a sanded it off, remembering the Kresley boys. The deck boards were so worn, as I put more pressure on the sander, I would recall the numerous hours of listening to scooters and skateboards.....rumble down the ramp.

When I got to the the burn marks, I didn't put to much effort into sanding, it felt like I would erase a treasured memory.


The ramp/ deck is sanded. There were a few finishing touches we never got to here we are FINALLY hiding the old concrete steps. When we first installed the ramp we had to cut out and haul a few tons of concrete, but most of it is still under there. Thankfully Toby and Shane were around, both working in Anchorage. Toby and John loaded Toby's truck and hauled it to the dump, I believe the weight in the truck was twice the amount it should hold, but had to be done in one load.
The view from the road , someday the rock path will be done and some grass will grow before August. The rocks were collected along the Sterling highway around Cooper landing. They were widening the roads and blowing up mountains. Every trip that summer we would stop along the highway to pick rocks. Hauling rocks is now the dreaded punishment for the kids, one I have always threatened,but never had to carry out.


Here is is all finishsed, it is redwood like the green house and the swing set. I think it will look nice with the Spruce trees. I stained it this week, in 40 degree weather, I hope the stain sets up right. I kept waiting for the rain to stop, or the wind to quit blowing. When the temperatures dropped, I knew I couldn't wait any longer.
Now I just have to clean up the yards, garage, move the tools inside, paint the living room, re stain and paint the downstairs bathroom, and build a closet under the stairs.... and when that's done it will be time to mud and paint a cabin and repaint the house!

4 comments:

  1. You have been a busy lady, but it looks really nice. I like the steps off the other side of the porch. I have a couple of gallons of "Honey Gold", I think it is down to one since your mother combined the two cans ~ you can have it back if you would like. I did do my smoke house and fish table in that color. I am hoping for several warmer/ sunny days in October so I can get a coat of paint on the new building. Sounds as if you have plenty of chores planned for the winter. We did hacve our first snow fall last night, but ours stuck, well kinda the roof tops have a little white stuff on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No you can have the Honey Gold... it's soooo 90's! Just kidding. You know I do have a lot of paint left over from the cabin... if you need to use it, its there. I f you use my green and Dana's cantaloupe.... it would be a very bright and easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heidi!
    Since I have not heard from you I thought I would comment on your blog. It is very nice. I need more video on mine. Hope the girls are doing well. I saw K out my office window when the bus stopped to pick up the ignite kids at my school. I have pictures for you!!
    Kathy T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that "to do list" completed yet? When it is, let me know because I still have lots on my list, I just made a "To Do List" to organize my other half dozen To Do Lists, I had some many lists I discovered that I was doing chores that I had already done! Computer down?

    ReplyDelete