Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Let me give you some background information, in Girl Scouts, girls "Bridge" up to the next age level of scouting. It's a big thing, a ceremony involving 30 to 50 girls, and times that amount by three for the guest list. There are awards and symbolic tokens presented to each girl. Afterward, we do a little reception serving food. It is a very traditional event and crucial in keeping enrollment numbers up, the girls enjoy being acknowledged in their accomplishments, and they should be. And we do all of this with a $85 dollar budget.

I have sat on the Bridging committee for 7 years only missing one last year. We have sent out the same information to leaders about supplies, awards, RSVP forms, and Bridging requirements, NEVER have I had so many stupid questions or lack of follow through.

Dumb bitch has coming out of my mouth way to much this last week, not a very Girl Scout thing to say, but come on people!
  • Who does not know where to buy tissue paper? Umm ...what mother has never been in the gift bag isle at the grocery store? Or get creative and go to Michael's!

  • Who does not know how to make tissue paper flowers? Come on folks we learned that in elementary school?

  • Who does not know what "paper products for food service" is? Huh, let's see, maybee, anything you don't wipe your nose or butt with.

  • Who does not know it is NOT okay to RSVP 30 or more guests 24 hours before the event? Huh, you can come, but you can't eat!

  • Who does not know if you plan on Bridging you cannot let the produce/ director/ emcee/ program layout artist know the night before? The program has been printed, the emcee has the Script, and if you didn't have 12 girls that would be disappointed I would tell you where to take your RSVP!

I am so retiring!!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having the time of your life! LOL hang in there its almost over. You are right though, the people you speak of sound idiotic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I remember bridging! I got to go to Kymber's last year! Based on what I saw it looked like alot of work to put on and definitely not something one person could handle on her/his own. I hope you didn't have to put this years together by yourself? But if so, knowing you, I'm sure it will be fantastic & beautiful. I wish I could be there again to see the excitement of all those little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From experience over the years, I know how you feel Heidi. Most people assume that these things just happen automatically and do not relize the amount of work and planning that it takes to do them effectively. Most are content to sit back, enjoy them and contribute little but they are also usually the first to complain or the old familar remark "I would h ave done it this way!". I believe you suffer from the same problem that I have, you feel like if it is going to be sucessful and something that will be memorable, you have to do it yourself. It is frustrating and retirement looks like a good idea, however, after that many years of devotion it is hard to walk away, knowing that things are going to go to hell after you have put some much time and dedication into it. Just remember, the "adults" may not appreciate the effort and dedication, but those young girls that you are mentoring do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dad, I needed to hear that!

    Mom, It felt like I put it on by myself, but tonight everyone pulled it together and it all worked out.

    Sarah.... you right! IT'S OVER! YEAH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Working with kids is great....working with parents sucks...sister you always pull this off...and I am proud of you for sticking it out this long...those little girls love you and everything you do for them. Remember...May is here...cookies are about over...and now that bridging is done...time to plan the Memorial Weekend Party....okay...I will give you a day off...then can you tell me where to buy paper items for food services...and should we get colored plastic or paper...and what size cups...and more forks than knives or more spoons than forks? Wont tissue paper flowers bleed in the rain...but if you tell me where to buy tissue paper I will make them hehe...love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No need to make more Tissue Paper Flowers, I was forced to bring 3 large garbage bags home. Reuse, Reduce, Recycle ... I was going to donate some to the old folks home, the rest I think I am going to try to paint with them, by dipping them into water and rubbing/dabbing them on LARGE white paper.... want some?

    I did save a lot of forks and spoons that I will wash and bring south with me! and we don't need more knives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well then maybe we could float those flowers down the river? Paint with them...good idea...bet they would tie dye nicely...one wet tee shirt...rolled around one or two tissue paper flowers...let bleed...boom...new shirt...hehe...good idea sister.anyicky

    ReplyDelete
  8. you make life happen Heidi.

    have a great summer!!

    ps- they were giving away girl scout cookies at the food bank today.

    ReplyDelete