Thursday, January 10, 2008

Poor Stupid Kitty

Sitting in bed this morning, sipping on the hot cup of coffee, left for me on the nightstand, I hear the jingling of dog tags in the living room, and then a howl coming from the cat. Not comprehending what was happening, because the dogs were still with me. I leap out of bed and over our big dog, which sleeps with his head under my side of the bed making it difficult to exit without hurting him. With no time to grab a robe, I run upstairs to find the cat had somehow gotten his head stuck between the rungs on the back of a dinning room chair. His tail was all puffy, he was howling as if he were dieing.
We have had little kids get their hands stuck in the rungs; the rungs are larger at the top then narrow towards the seat. They tend to slip their tiny hands in at the top, and then get off the chair. Their little arms slide down to the narrow space, they find they cannot remove them. With one hand stuck it the chair, they cannot climb back up on the chair to reach the wider area to remove their hand. Ricky was in the same position, he was still on the seat but found with his head stuck he could not stand up again to reach the larger opening.
The dogs heard the commotion and came running, freaking the cat out even more. Grabbing Ricky, holding his legs tight so he does not tear into my skin with his claws, I lift him so his head would fit out the bigger space at the top of the chair. The wiener dogs are jumping and nipping at Ricky’s tail. Ricky is pulling and tugging and still cannot free his head, the dogs are making it worse. Getting a hand free so I can twist his head so it can squeeze out of the larger opening towards the top, he twists it on his own and it pops free.
He is okay, it took and hour for his tail to loose its poof, he has left piles of hair everywhere he goes (from the stress) and he is still slinking around, I think, a little humiliated. I am still giggling over his embarrassment, wondering how he got himself into the situation and wishing I had gotten my camera out before freeing him. I am also a little worried that if it had happened while we were all gone what the dogs would have done to him. Poor stupid kitty.

4 comments:

  1. Poor kitty, I bet the weiner dogs enticed her to put her head th5rough the rungs! Like you, I wish I had benerthere with a camera, although I doi not know what the subject would be, the cat, weiner dogs or you trying to get the kitty free with or without what you were or were not wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well told story without a pic.

    The title almost says it all.

    I'm glad you didn't get scratched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Ricky! He is such a humble kitty! The wiener dogs thought they finally had him! I wonder though, probably as you, what would make him stick his head in there? Very strange! Sometimes it would be neat to know what the animals are thinking. Maybe the wiener dogs dared him to do it and for pride sake he showed them he could. Sneaky wiener dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooohhhh! I am glad he is ok. What is going on with our pets? Atleast I can giggle at your story.

    ReplyDelete