Monday, October 02, 2006

Some Good Hard Work

I had a great time this weekend with Roses Girl Scout Troop we volunteered for National Parks Day. Something we will defiantly do again next year. Our project was to help create a new trail in the Campbell Airstrip trail system. Our project was a new trail opposite the head of the Smoke Jumpers Trail. It was our job to haul the pre-cut trees away from the trail. Although, we did get a chance to do some shovel work, some girls had trouble focusing on one job for three hours. It was a nice clear morning and an eight am carpool time doesn’t work for 5th graders all we heard was I am cold, I am hungry, I am tired...and the ever so popular "I AM BORED". Only four of the nine girls were prepared, not good…good thing GS doesn’t have a “no child left behind” policy. Not only were they not prepared, but they knew nothing about “Leave No Trace” one girls kept leaving a soda can laying around. Seeing how we were surrounded by 100’s of naturalist (not the nude kind) it was not a good thing. During the three hours I had to harass 6 of the 9 girls to get them to do anything, also a leaders failure…what about Considerate and caring, Respect Authority, and make the world a better place. Despite all the nagging I had a great time. I was proud of Rose what a worker bee. She and I make a good team and we really enjoy getting out there and physically help out the community. And some good hard work is a great way to get stuff off your mind. I can’t wait till clean up day….come on MAY….I am waiting for you!!!


PS ... I think I smelled snow today...

3 comments:

  1. Boy, I am glad you made a new posting, some of your readers were getting quite angry and even using foul language. Good thing you nipped it in the bud, I could foresee signs and protestors on your front lawn. It sounds as if you had a good day with the girls, especially you and Rose, she is a great little worker. Glad to hear you were out clearing and making trails - but please explain to me why you never took on this effort at the HITWRA. The Plumma started a trail but the glacier wiped it out and the the tobaggan races down the hill side this summer also had an inpact. It is just a shame that the Golden Granny at the age of almost 60 has to scale the cliff using a rope when a nice trail could be made - but I guess we will have to get a grant and volunteers to do that. Keep up the good work and set the example for those young ladies to follow, it will reap rewards. Coem to think of it, I am going to protest in your yard and my movement will be to eliminate WV - now come on, isn't ljbzclbq getting just a bit excessive? I new it, the j looked like an i - now i have to work with hjrjte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so happy for you, getting in quality time with rose. The other girls are lucky to have such a good leader! It is hard to keep them motovated. I heard it will snow on saturday so be warned...Miss you and have a happy pmmylf day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manual labor...a cure for what ails you! Glad it was productive...and I just want to say...life experience has taught me...NEVER GO ANYWHERE before noon...with a group of pre-adolescents! Damn I missed nofld...now I am stuck with xitswvpd
    okay that was not right...lets try msynmlky

    ReplyDelete