Saturday, September 13, 2008

I'm Jammin'

It has been very quiet with the girls at school all week. I have enjoyed doing a few projects, some productive and most not. I am still harvesting raspberries and today I hope to get some plants out of the ground. If you know anyone who wants some ... give me a call! If I don't give them away to friends, I think I will advertise them on Craigs List. $5 a plant sounds fair!

This year, is appears the more I harvest the more they produce, every four to five days I can pick another batch of jam. So far I have put away 4 batches Raspberry Treasure Jam... I call it that because I threw my few treasured Strawberries in there (and a few from Costco), there weren't enough to call it Raspberry Strawberry Jam.

I read somewhere that the 1/2 sugar pectin sets up the best so I bought some of it, then I read the box, it has Splenda in it. I don't like artificial sweeteners, I steer away from most diet stuff, call me silly but I am concerned with the long term heath effects. Also, Miss Tay will surely notice and not eat a bit of it, she can taste the difference, and doesn't like it . My next batch will be made with good stuff.... maybe even ORGANIC sugar!

For those of you who have gotten recent phone calls (or where sent to the hospital) about the last items canned in this house; I took extra precautions, in the sterilizing process, and can guarantee there was not a moment in the process were anything cooled down enough to have been contaminated. I will also test it out on a focus group (JOHN) before I give any away.

Here I am cooking the berries, not very appealing at this stage....looks like road kill...eww! I couldn't get photo's of the canning/jarring process, I only had two hands and the hot stuff had the priority, but here is the end product. I have a few more items I want to can up before the apples are ready to be processed. I will let you know how it goes.

9 comments:

  1. ....i don't mind being the guinea pig, but that seems a low blow about the hospital thing...it's the first (and, hopefully, last) time i've poisoned someone. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I made jelly I burned my self! It is worth it though because it taste so goooooood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is what has kept you busy this past week, wondered what had happened to you. Lost in the berry patch. Looks good, your mother also did some jam this week, rubarb. Rained again today, some more, so I spent a couple of hours hanging the last ofthe sheet rock in your cvabin. It is a slow process, someone used all the big sheet so I am having to sort through pieces, but with 6 inch tape and a bucket of mud, you will never know that was piece milled together. I finished up the loft area and still have the front peak to do. Don't need to worry about being warm in there, turned on the big propane heater today just to take tyhe chill out of the air, had to turn it off in less than 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad...Thanks for the sheet rocking, I kept trying to piece that back wall together. I had hoped it would get easier, but I guess not. Did Shane get enough for his bedroom wall?

    I will trade one Raspberry jam for one Rhubarb jam!

    Sorry John... I Still Love you!

    Friar . .. myspace me an address.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think anyone will want my rhubarb jam. I also unknownly used pectin with Splenda but I don't think I did it right. My "jam"? is more like syrup. Maybe I didn't cook it long enuff? The pectin box directions said some jams/jelly takes 2-3 weeks to set up - so I'm going to give it some time and if it's still syrup - off to the garbage can it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom ... I was just kicking my self for not harvesting the rhubarb, remember the rhubarb sauce we used to make YUM! Don't throw out the syrup....make a fresh apple pie with it...or on pancakes... shoot dad may eat it like spoon fudge if you quit buying him candy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you have that ham in the jars yet or are still jammin?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not know you could can ham?

    ReplyDelete