Sunday, April 19, 2009

This is our old entertainment center, It's been sitting in the garage for a few years now. It's been customized a few times to accommodate TV upgrades. I didn't think I would get much for it on Alaska's List, and since I am no longer permitted to even see the website, I decided to reuse the wood.

What I thought was Oak, turned out to be oak veneer over particle board. It was not cheap construction, and I bet whoever bought it first paid a pretty penny for it. But, since it was particle board my plans had to change significantly. I decided not to completely take it apart and re-cut to my design, instead I just moved parts around.
I needed the side panels to become shelve to accommodate the length of the lights. The lights also needed to be close to the plants to keep them from getting "leggy". I have it designed so three flats can go on the floor, that light (24"x24") is mounted on chains so it can be lowered/raised. It is also closest to the heater, which helps keeps the moisture evaporating. I will use this area for seedlings. The middle shelf is set up with a 4' light with 2 bulbs. I will use this to area for the second stage of growth. These two lights are wired together so its a plug and play kind of thing. The top shelf is just below the window, which I will place the more mature plants, will help when it comes time to harden the plants. That light is also hanging and can be easily adjusted.

Now I have WAY more room for my plants, and when the shelf is not growing plants, I have a nice laundry/ project table (which has been a want since we moved here) that it just the right height for me to stand at; and you know? I bet I have enough parts left to make some a few shelf units for the cabin.

3 comments:

  1. After I got the plants moved I noticed significant root growth, and decided to transplants some stuff. I have decided to keep 8 tomatoes, 3 cucumbers, 3 zucchini, 3 peppers, and some other miscellaneous stuff. Now that that is figured out I need to find homes for the "leftovers" anyone need some plants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "fresh postings" almost as well as fresh veggies. What a clever idea for an old piece of furniture. You are so talented, you should take up the trade of carpentry, you seem to enjoy it. Nice job and looks great. I saw something in your garage that would make a cute planter. You will see old "skiffs" in peoples yards converted to flower beds. I saw a miniature skiff in your garage that would make a very cute inside planter for budding plants. Remove the little interior motor and shaft, you would have plenty of room for several plants. I have seen it laying around in your garage for the past 10 to 12 years, bout time to put it to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it never seems to escape my attention that your so talented. When are you getting your contractors license? You would do a better job that some of the current workers I've seen.
    Keep up the good work. Jeanette

    ReplyDelete